Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Life Gets In The Way...

Of blogging that is! I must admit I am really enjoying shore duty. I remember being so apprehensive about shore duty. We were on sea duty for 9 years when we finally got the orders for shore duty. I feel as if it was just yesterday that I was telling everyone I was worried about PickupMan and his ability to not be at sea. As a submariner, he is always at work. When he is home he's thinking about what needs to be done on the boat in order to get ready for the next underway. Then when he is out to sea he wonders how things are going at home.

I was told so many times, "He's gonna drive you crazy!" LOL So far I'm not there yet. I am really enjoying having him around. So are Thing 1 & 2! They have spent plenty of time building a fort in the back yard and working on dad's new old truck! I have been down and out a few times and it has been really nice to not have to worry about everything! He has adjusted to the fact that work is not the boat and the "Paperless Navy" does NOT exist! We are however already discussing what comes next. Will be interesting to see where our journey takes us next.

I am really enjoying the time that I now have to blog, read and start to enjoy my "down time" again. I love being a stay at home mom and I love being my husbands wife. However, as of lately I am feeling that need to do something more! I was talking to of my besties the other day. We were discussing how disconnected I feel from other wives/families right now. Her response "Shore duty does that to you, and it should not be that way. Because people believe because you are on shore duty you don't NEED that. But we all need support!" I really stopped to think about that. I felt so connected with our last command. Our FRG was wonderful. If you didn't know everyone you at least knew there names. There is something so great about that; feeling that connection with a room full of women who love and support their husbands and family. A close friend just transferred to where we are and I couldn't be more excited about that. We too had the "Oh No! He's gonna be home!" talk. (We are preparing for wine nights at one house and boys night in the garage at the other house! LOL) Which was followed by talk of the old FRG. I know we are all enjoying shore duty, but it would be nice to see people and "support" each other more than just at command functions.(Which don't happen often!) Back to my point, I am feeling the need for something more, maybe just a little break would help. The pick me ups that I would do if he were deployed/out to sea that I usually do just to re-group! Maybe a day of nothing or a massage...oh that sounds nice!

But in all honesty I am ready for a challenge! I really want to get my photography business up and running. It truly is a passion! There is nothing that makes my heart swell like capturing the moments in life. The BIG huge moments like weddings, births, and homecomings. The small moments no one thinks twice about....the slug making his way to the garden, the spiderweb with rain drops on it. Just talking about it makes me want to get up and run outside to capture a few moments! I think I am going to start looking into the bigger equipment I need to have an in-home studio and be able to take it with to others homes. I LOVE taking pictures of wives for their husbands. (Simple candid shots to a few boudoir or pin-up shots)I have done this for several friends and they have turned out AWESOME! I love the husbands responses too. I know its something that they treasure. Its an amazing thing to watch the wives really open up during a shoot! They will start of kind of timid and then they are laughing and being silly by the end of the shoot(some of the BEST pictures happen then!) Its a GREAT confidence boost for them, a great way to re-group during a deployment and a wonderful pick me up for the hubbies!

Well, for the moment I am off to take care of my housewife duties! While I daydream of being outside taking pictures! Maybe a little 80's music to assist in the cleaning will make it better!!

No comments: