Thursday, April 8, 2010

Always Written in Jell-O!

Shore duty has fogged my brain a little. Yesterday was a great fog horn, so to speak. Cell phone rings and its PickupMan. I happily answer the phone naive to what is about to happen. The usual how's your day going then he says "I talked to the detailer today..." words that usually lead to some kind of stress one way or the other. "Okay...and what did he say?" I ask not sure that I want the answer to that question. "We are penciled in to go back to a boat in October."
Silence ensued. I responded with "Well okay then!" I know that he is looking forward to getting back to a boat soon. Shore duty has been wonderful for us! Its given him time with the boys, a house to finally call home for all of us and some well deserved down time. He is anxious to return to the life of a submariner...underway!
So now its on to squeezing everything that we wanted to accomplish (home updates, yard work, painting and our first ever family vacation that isn't visiting family) in a year into the next 5 months. I know we can do it, its just wrapping my brain around it. Its the shock that always comes....however it has never been this easy to get orders. So I was expecting a debate with lots of "I called the detailer..." conversations. I know I should look at this as a good thing, and I am...but I really am enjoying shore duty! It's nice to have a husband all the time. To not be the one without your husband at gatherings, school activities, etc. has been a joy!
So I have been reminded that everything with the Navy is always written in Jell-O! Even shore duty! LOL
Time to buckle down and figure out how to squeeze it all into 5 months remembering that there's always room for J-E-L-L-O!!!

No comments: